Martijn's blog - E-Commerce, EAI, BizTalk and .NET

2004/11/28

BizTalk Explorer v1.30

So, I was reading many questions in the newsgroups about how to easily "copy" a running BizTalk environment from one place and deploy it somewhere else, without taking the running machine offline.

BizTalk Explorer v1.30 supports this option ("Deployment" -> "Copy BizTalk environment") by allowing you to specify a BizTalk database, after which it:

  • copies the assemblies used within that environment
  • copies the support libraries linked to these assemblies (non-BizTalk and non-Microsoft)
  • exports the bindings within the server (assembly related and non-bound)
  • creates a file called "deploy.bat", which performs all necessary actions to deploy the BizTalk environment somewhere else
  • zips up the files and places it in a folder of your choosing
Once these steps have been completed, simply copying the zip file to another server with BizTalk installed (and having gacutil/btsdeploy in the path) and running "deploy.bat" should re-create the entire BizTalk environment.

Let me know of any issues, as I think this is a very handy feature and it should be well tested.

Download the new BizTalk Explorer v1.30 from GotDotNet or from here

Enjoy!

6 Comments:

  • Hi Martijn.

    First of all I must say it's a great tool, even more since v1.30 because of the Copy BizTalk environment function you added.
    I would like to make one feature request: if I use your tool on a system that doesn't contain the Visual Studio environment I cannot use the edit address function of a receive or send port, because BizTalkExplorer cannot find a perticular COM class (probably because the VS.NET DLLs are not available). Is it possible to bypass this in a future release so one can make changes in the address property of a receive or send port without the need for VS.Net ? Keep the good work goin' ;-) Richard.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:48 AM  

  • Installed Biz Explorer on my development machine (Windows XP with SP1 ) and it doesn't seem to work (Copy Environment ). Its ok on my 2003 machine (no SP1 Installed). Is it XP od SP1 causing the problem ?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:04 AM  

  • Hi Richard,

    You can copy the BTSGridViewCtrl.dll to the machine and register it in the registry:
    regsvr32 [full path]

    It worked for me

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:46 AM  

  • Question: When I click on parties in v1.30, it doesn't show any alias information that is in there. I know it is there, because I can see it from Visual Studio. I don't want to load Visual Studio on the production servers. Any ideas? Thanks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 PM  

  • I absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your post’s to be precisely what I’m looking for. Does one offer guest writers to write content in your case? I wouldn’t mind creating a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome site!

    By Anonymous Gadgets UK, at 9:55 AM  

  • Thanks you. Very good post.Unless they can offer a really compelling reason for users to come back, it will be the next Bebo, MySpace

    By Anonymous Cannon 10755GF, at 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home